Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Furry Entertainment


I am one of the estimated 77.5 million dog owners in America. Of course like the old Ken-L-Ration dog food commercial, I sing with utter conviction that “My dog‘s better than your dog! Fred is my hairy-child (sorry, Kev, you left home so there’s a new Alpha Dog in the house). Fred has me wrapped around his furry little paw. Fred is a Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier, which means he has silky hair and I secretly resent that I shed more than him. I admit I’m easily amused but nobody makes me smile like Fred. I don’t know what it is about Fred that reduces me to a babbling idiot when no one is looking: “Who’s the best boo puppy pup in the whole wide world?” I am also Fred’s interpreter. In my best dog-voice, I narrate on Fred’s behalf out loud throughout the day: Oh my gosh, Kongs filled with peanut butter are my favorite thing.” “Ice cubes, can I have one? They’re my favorite!” “I don’t want to get off the bed. I was quite comfortable thank you very much.” “Oh, my gosh, going for a walk, that’s my favorite thing.”  “Did you see that Schnoodle? Dang, Poodles will do it with anybody. ” I even made up a song so he knows when we are going for a walk: We’re gonna go for a walk. We’re gonna go for a walk. We’re gonna go for a walk and talk as we go for a walk. We’re gonna go for walk. It’s a catchy little ditty and it gets Fred’s tail wagging. If by now you’re thinking I should be committed, been there, done that, the room has my name on the door. Fred just brings out the inner Doctor Doolittle in me (and they thought that guy was crazy too).   

Fred is a pretty relaxed dude as dogs go, except when he’s on a leash and another dog comes near– his inner Kujo kicks in – it’s embarrassing.  However, if you come over for a visit he will literally jump up for joy (full contact joy). “You came by to see me?  I’m so glad to see you; oh my gosh, you’re my favorite person in the whole world. Can you see how high I jump? Oh my gosh, let me give you a kiss.” He has no manners. When we go to the vet as soon as we walk in they say, Crazy Fred!” He barks at every man, woman, child, and squirrel that comes by our house. I forgive Fred for his few faults because he’s so easy to be with 98% of the time. In my darkest hours he’s been there to let me cry on his shoulder. He watches TV with me. He’s super smart, and a great listener who never talks back. Fred is what I call a ‘near puppy’ he always has to be close by or on my lap-all 35-pounds of fluff. One of the benefits of being a dog owner is how they remind you to ‘lighten up, smile, and not feel guilty for taking naps. If you are paying attention, they can teach you how to live in the present moment.’ 

The only thing Fred can’t do is be off his leash. He’s a freakishly fast dog. I’ve watched him run in perpetual circles around doggie parks or as he races in my sister and brother-in-law’s fenced-in landscaped backyard with pure abandonment. Here he comes he’s spinning around the tree, he’s leaping over the lawn chairs and small dogs, he’s sprinting towards the azaleas, he’s got a strong lead on anyone whose trying to catch him!” But by far, his favorite thing to do in the whole wide world (and he’ll tell you) is go for bike rides on his Walkie Dog-a long pole that attaches to a bike. It has been the greatest invention known to dog-kind. Fred loves it. I don’t even have to peddle the bike the first block because he’s running so hard (seriously). It is hilarious to see his wooly mammoth hair blowing in the wind. Oh my gosh, biking is my favorite thing in the whole world. Did you see that Labadoodle? Sheesh, Poodles will do it with anyone!”

I think it’s pretty cool how God gave us a few domesticated pets (dogs in particular) to remind us to chill out and laugh more throughout our days. I’m telling you, Fred is free furry entertainment. Mostly he makes me smile. If I had to sum up Fred (in my subjective opinion) I’d say, Fred likes his life. And I like my life more because of Fred.

Side note: I’ll try to post a video of Fred here in this blog occasionally if I can figure out how to do that.


2 comments:

  1. Thank goodness we have furry friends to remind us not to take ourselves too seriously and to relax and enjoy the ride!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our animals are health food for the soul...it's a proven fact.

    ReplyDelete