Friday, February 28, 2020

Sweet Truth


True confession: the last month, with the move, I have been on a sugar kick that would match any person with serious alcohol or drug addiction. Binge eating on Jelly Beans, Skittles, cookies, anything that gave me that huge artificial hit of pleasure (activating the reward system in the brain causing the release of dopamine). This affects serotonin levels, messing with our neurotransmitters that help keep our mood stable. I know when I'm in trouble: I hide my sugary drugs. Plumbers were over and I hid my jelly beans in silverware drawer. I stop eating nutritional foods. I gained weight. I feel shame and out of control. Many of us have been here in one way or another. 


I find reestablishing healthy boundaries and patterns get me back on track. My friend and I are committed for Lent to eat only what is good for us. I'm two days off sugar. I'm making sure to meditate more than normal (adding extra few minutes throughout the day here and there). Taking long walks and reconnecting with nature (even though I have a ton of things to do). I created a chart to check off each day that I accomplished my priorities for wellbeing  (that gives you a natural dopamine hit). Movement, breathwork, nutritional food, laughter, and love). I took a whole day to unwind and settle my frustration and disappointments and fears. I may need one more day. Rest is good. There is always a way out of our bad choices and ways to reset our brain and body. Structure, accountability, grace move me forward. How about you? 🙏💚🌱



No comments:

Post a Comment